Some people go to great lengths to avoid looking in the mirror when wrinkles start to multiply as they age. Wrinkles are caused by thin, sagging skin. They particularly appear on the face, neck, backs of hands, and tops of forearms
How do wrinkles form?
Skin Cells communicate through a number of chemical and electrical processes. These signals fade with aging and as a result, cells endogenous mechanisms to repair itself and sustain youth also diminish. New skin cells are produced in the basal layer of the skin and move to surface over a period of time. As we age, skin cell production tends to slow down. It takes longer and longer for the new layer to reach the surface and for the basal layer to produce the new layer. With aging the collagen and elastin in the connective tissue of the skin become weak and break down due to changes in fibroblasts that produce collagen and elastin. The result is a build-up of dead skin cells, wrinkles and sagging skin.
How to Reduce Wrinkles?
- Avoid the sun. – UV-A & UV-B rays in sunlight is a major cause for aging of skin. Wear sunscreen to protect your skin from sun damage.
- Don’t smoke. – cigarette smoke ages skin mostly by releasing an enzyme that breaks down collagen and elastin.
- Get adequate sleep – when you don’t get enough sleep, the body produces excess cortisol, a hormone that breaks down skin cells. With enough rest body produces more HGH (human growth hormone), which helps skin remain thick, more “elastic,” and less likely to wrinkle.
- Sleep on your back. – sleeping in certain positions night after night leads to “sleep lines – wrinkles that become etched into the surface of the skin and don’t disappear once you’re up. Sleeping on your side increases wrinkles on cheeks and chin, while sleeping face-down gives you a furrowed brow.
- Don’t squint and get reading glasses- Any repetitive facial movement like squinting overworks facial muscles, forming a groove beneath the skin’s surface. This groove eventually becomes a wrinkle.
- Eat more fish – Fish, particularly salmon is a great source of an essential fatty acid known as omega-3. They help nourish skin and keep it plump and helping to reduce wrinkles.
- Eat more soy – Properties of soy may help protect or heal some of the sun’s photoaging damage.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables; particularly those rich in Vit.C, Vit E. These are antioxidant compounds. These compounds fight damage caused by free radicals, which in turn helps skin look younger and more radiant.
Topical Treatments That Reduce Wrinkles:
Studies show the following ingredients can reduce wrinkles. Most are found in a variety of skin-care treatments, both prescription and over-the-counter.
- Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs). These natural fruit acids lift away the top layer of dead skin cells, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Retinoids (including Retin A). it reduces fine lines and large wrinkles, and repairs sun damage.
- Topical vitamin C. – increase collagen production, protect against damage from UVA and UVB rays, correct pigmentation problems, and improve inflammatory skin conditions.
Injectable and surgical treatments:
- Botox- Injection of botulinum toxin (Botox) can be used to prevent development of wrinkles by paralyzing facial muscles. BOTOX® Cosmetic may cause serious side effects that can be life threatening.
- Fillers- Fillers help to diminish facial lines and restore volume and fullness in the face. They have side effects including the risk of allergic reaction and the formation of tiny bumps under the skin. In some cases, those bumps may be permanent.
- Thread face lift -A cosmetic procedure that lifts and realigns sagging tissue while adding definition to facial contours by using absorbable ‘threads’.
- Face lift surgery –A cosmetic surgical operation to remove unwanted wrinkles by surgically tightening the skin of the face.
Non-surgical treatments for Wrinkles at Define:
Nano-Perfector technology uses waveform signals that resonate and awaken cellular biological processes. The skin cells in the basal layer are stimulated and production of new skin cells increased. The amount of collagen and elastin increases resulting in lifting and plumping the skin. The signal also communicates with the muscle cells to increase the tone of the facial muscles.
Botox is a purified protein obtained from bacterium Clostridium Botulinum. It is used to relax specific facial muscles that cause dynamic wrinkles (the wrinkles that are formed during facial expressions). Once the muscles are relaxed, they cannot be contracted which improvs appearance of wrinkles. It can also slow the formation of new lines by preventing contraction of facial muscles. It is a USFDA approved with over 20 years of research. Botox Treatment is a non-surgical procedure. It doesn’t involve incisions or general anaesthesia. During the procedure, small amount of BOTOX is administered into selected facial muscles by a trained doctor using a very fine needle. There is very minimal pain or discomfort. The entire procedure takes approximately 10 minutes with minimal discomfort and downtime. Regular activities can be resumed soon after. Visible changes are seen within 3 days, full effect in 7 days and lasts up to 4-6 months.
HYALURONIC ACID FILLERS
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring sugar complex in our skin which retain moisture in the skin. Hyaluronic Acid Fillers are injected into the skin to fill wrinkles and smoothen them. They are also used to enhance and restore facial volume and help improve skin quality and elasticity.
Fillers Treatment is a non-surgical procedure. It doesn’t involve incisions or general anaesthesia. The procedure takes about half an hour with minimal discomfort or downtime. Regular activities can be resumed soon after. Effect lasts up to 12-24 months depending on the type of filler chosen.
This focused dermal heating stimulates collagen and elastin fibres in skin and increases production of new collagen and elastin. This result is reduction of wrinkles as well as improvements in the texture and laxity of the skin.
This process involves the application of medicated gel solutions that exfoliate the epidermal layer to remove dead skin cells and stimulate the production of new skin cells. It tightens the skin, reduces wrinkling and restores a youthful appearance. Chemical Peel requires neither actual peeling nor downtime and is painless.