Skin Pigmentation Reduction
What are different types of Skin Pigmentation?Epidermal (superficial), dermal (deep), and mixed.
Causes of Skin Pigmentation?
- hormonal imbalance
- dry skin
- aging process
- too much exposure to the sun
- skin trauma.
How to treat Skin Pigmentation?
- The mode of treatment used will be determined by the type of skin pigmentation, patient preference, and patient risk tolerance.
- UV protection/sunscreen is paramount in the treatment of skin pigmentation.
- Different treatments are used for different types of skin pigmentation and face pigmentation, like lasers and lightening creams.
- For cleansing use a mild cleanser containing lightening and brightening agents, do not use cleansers that are harsh on the skin as they tend to dry the facial skin.
- Use moisturisers containing glycolic acid with topical Vitamin C & E, and niacinamide containing creams.
- Skin lightening agents or cosmeceuticals containing kojic acid, licorice, hydroquinone can also be used but only under supervision of the physician.
- Chemical Peels
What is Melasma?It is an acquired patchy tan brown or blue-gray skin discoloration seen on the face and generally common among women in their reproductive years. Though also possible in males, it is seldom seen in them.
What are common sites for melasma?
Melasma typically appears on the forehead, upper cheeks, upper lip, forehead, and chin of women between 20-50 years of age.
What are causes of melasma?
While its exact cause is still unknown, some of the common triggers are -
- A history of daily or intermittent and unprotected sun exposure.
- External hormones like birth control pills, hormone replacement therapy, and internal hormonal changes during pregnancy. Melasma that occurs during pregnancy is called chloasma or “the mask of pregnancy” and is caused due to an increase in hormone levels like estrogen, progesterone and a melanocyte stimulating hormone.
- Family history
- Anti-seizure medications
- Certain products or treatments that cause an increase in melanin production.
How to treat melasma?
- Use mild gentle cleansers that are not too harsh and do not erode the natural moisture of the skin.
- Skin lightening creams can be used like hydroquinone, azelaic acid, glycolic acid, tretinoin creams, kojic acid, soy, arbutin and those containing licorice. But these should be used under strict guidance and as prescribed.
- Use of a good sunscreen with an SPF of 30+ with both UVA and UVB protection filters, is a must. Sunscreens containing physical blockers, such as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, are recommended to block UV rays. The regular use of sun protection enhances Melasma treatments.
- Mesotherapy treatment
- Chemical peels
- Dermaroller treatment
Why Define Aesthetics for Melasma treatment?
Melasma is a difficult condition which requires careful management. Any aggressive treatments can make it worse. At Define Aesthetics we specialize in the treatment of Melasma. After establishing the type of Melasma you have and the depth of pigmentation, treatment plans are formulated. We have a wide range of treatments available that are combined with the best technology, customised to best suit your skin type.