The term microdermabrasion refers to micronized (tiny) crystals derived from minerals. The technician uses an instrument to direct a stream of these fine crystals onto the skin. These crystals are used to abrade the skin thereby removing dead and flaking skin cells. As it's done, a small vacuum removes the crystals along with the upper layer of skin. As a result, the production of new skin cells and collagen is stimulated.
What are the benefits of Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a way to improve many unsightly surface conditions.
- Removal of age spots.
- Blackheads, whiteheads.
- Fine lines around the eyes, lips and neck.
- Dull and rough textured skin can be improved.
- The treatment can be used to reduce mild scarring and scaly skin lesions.
What is the duration of treatment?
Each treatment takes approximately one and a half hour to complete and no anesthesia is required.
The number of treatments depend on the size, depth and type of skin problem the patient has. The microdermabrasion treatment is repeated every 7 to 10 days for up to 12 treatments. Additional monthly treatments may be recommended for maintenance purpose.
What changes should I expect after the treatment?
The skin will be noticeably improved after the first treatment. Age spots, fine lines and wrinkles will be diminished, and the skin will have radiant glow. Acne scars will become less noticeable. Many report fresher, younger looking skin. With microdermabrasion therapy, some moisture will be lost; therefore, special cleansers and moisturizers will be recommended for daily use. Some patients experience a tightening and redness of the skin immediately after the treatment. The sensation has been compared to mild sunburn. These conditions last for a short time. Some people notice dryness in the treated area and may be advised to apply a moisturizer.
Why Microdermabrasion For Skin?
There are several reasons to choose microdermabrasion for skin treatments over other techniques. Microdermabrasion requires less time and involves less discomfort. Recovery time is rapid and normal activities can be resumed immediately. Microdermabrasion is safe and effective on most parts of the body and can be used in conjunction with other procedures such as laser skin resurfacing and chemical peel.
Do I need to follow any precautions for microdermabrasion treatment?
- Stop all applications 2 days before the treatment.
- Use sunscreen regularly before starting the treatment.
- If you are on any kind of medication, please share all details with the doctor performing the procedure.
On the day of treatment:
- Do not wear any make-up on the day of the treatment.
- Procedure can sometimes have some very short-term after-effects, so don't be alarmed if you experience redness, irritation, peeling and scabbing of skin for 1-2 days after the treatment.
- Avoid direct sun exposure after the treatment. Use sun screen regularly, SPF 30+ or as advised.
- Use a gentle face wash.
- Post the procedure, remember to use a moisturizer every 6 hours for at least 3 days
- Avoid saunas, steam and sunbathing for 7 days after the procedure.
- Do not bleach.
- Do not apply any unknown creams.
- Do not thread or wax the treated part.